Monday, January 30, 2012

Debbie Macomber - "The Shop on Blossom Street"

I don't remember where I got this book from, but the fact it is about knitting and women coming together over craft hit an nice note with me. It is something which women have been doing in one form or another for centuries and I think it is nice! Plus I knit teddies, which is not very relevant, but I do like to think it goes against the concept that only old people knit.

Lydia Hoffman fought cancer and won - twice. As part of her new lease on life, she opens a shop called 'A Good Yarn' and offers knitting classes. Her first class is made up of three very unlikely people. Jacqueline who is wants to knit a baby blanket to pretend she likes her daughter-in-law. Carol who is undergoing fertility treatment and wants to create herself a piece of love and luck and Alix who needs to clock up some community service hours! An unlikely group with different stories who come together and find their lives begin to overlap as friendships form.

A little predictable in parts, but a very nice light read. And we all need to believe in the little things.

No comments:

Post a Comment