Thursday, January 5, 2012

Monica McInerney 'Lola's Secret'

I think I mentioned in an earlier post that I got this book for Christmas. Not strictly accurate. I actually bought it for my mother-in-law and told her to tell me if she already had it. Someone else had given it to her the day before and it had been on her wish list! Great minds clearly think alike ;) Anyway I got her a different book and I kept this one. I would just like to say this was not the plan though.

If you have read 'The Alphabet Sisters' this is a sequel set five years after the first book finished. WARNING: If you have not read 'The Alphabet Sisters' read it first. In fact if you have not read 'The Alphabet Sisters', stop reading now and do not read any reviews of 'Lola's Secret' until after you have. Trust me. You will thank me.

Back to 'Lola's Secret'. It is a warm, funny book. Filled with family dramas as Lola, the undisputed matriarch, continues to dispense advice to her family, friends and the community in general. This book is about Lola. At 84 years young it is a reminder that you are only as old as you feel and that the 'matures years', a long string of grandchildren and great-grandchildren does not mean you are not a person in your own right too. Friends still annoy you. Family is still family. And sometimes you still have to face up to things that you do not want to face. Throw in some colourful clothes and a whole heap of scheming and you have 'Lola's Secret'.

A lovely read for anyone who has friends, family and frenemies. Who likes a bit of love, laughter and drama in their life. And for anyone who is hoping their second attempt at youth is even more fun the then first time round. A very fitting sequel to the wonderful 'The Alphabet Sisters'.

No comments:

Post a Comment