Monday, February 6, 2012

Philippa Gregory - 'Earthly Joy'

It was my job to pick the book for this week's month's bookclub book. I was given the genre of 'historical novel' which I am sure they thought would be easy for me with my background! For the record it is really hard to pick a book you haven't read before for a group (just in case you have not been in this position). Anyway, I picked Philippa Gregory as the auther and then asked a friend who I knew had read a lot of Philippa Gregory's books to recommend one for me and here we are! The novel is set in the 1600's when Elizabeth I is still on the throne. The central character is John Tradescant, a gardener who shares a strong bond with the lord he serves. Time does not stand still however, and as time goes on John's loyalty is tested. New monarchs, new masters, new family. Conflicting views and as time progresses John realises the things he thought were straight forward might not be. Initially, the other members of the bookclub were a bit dubious after reading the blub. None of them had read this type of book before. While we have not had our official meeting, the comments on facebook have been very positive! Based on this, I would recommend the book for those wishing to try the genre. Oh, and I enjoyed the book and I am halfway through the sequel!

2 comments:

  1. I have never read a Philipa Gregory that I haven't loved. Great book club choice. We did one of hers a couple of years ago - The Other Bolyen Girl - and we had a fantastic discussion. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After all that I didn't make the meeting where the book was discussed! My children and I were all (possibly) poxy. Most of the group liked it enough to read the sequel though which was nice.

    ReplyDelete