Monday, February 13, 2012

Nicola Thorne - 'The Water's Edge'

I have collected Nicola Thorne books for a number of years. I went to the discard book shop the other day at our State Library and added another few to my collection! So stay tuned for a few reviews coming up.

'The Water's Edge' is the third in a series and I haven't read the first two. Because of this, some of the background was missing when I read this book, but it was still a nice read. Set in the 1920's this book contains all the key elements of that era: independent woman, class consciousness (although it is beginning to be broken) and unmarried women due to a generation of lost men. It also contains a lot of the typical Nicola Thorne elements: it is part of a saga, half-siblings, illegitimate children, romantic affairs and the breaking of class boundaries, along with the unsurprising side-effects.

It was a nice story. Not my favourite one, but I generally love her books. I think I will have to re-read it in chronological order when I find the first two books!

No comments:

Post a Comment