Thursday, February 16, 2012

Nicola Thorne - 'In Time of War'

I told you I had been on a bit of a Nicola Thorne bender! Actually it felt like more at the time, but I think in reality it was only three.

This book is the final volume of 'People of the Parish' series. Once again, I haven't read all the books in the series, but I have read two of the earlier books. There are six in total.

The complete story follows the lives of the Woodville family and other associated families in their area over three generations. This chapter of the saga begins in 1939 just as World War II is breaking. Alexander Martyn marries Irene who almost immediately rushes back to Germany in the hope of saving a friend. As a German Jew, Germany is not a safe place to be, even if you are a British citizen by marriage. Meanwhile other family members are located in the country home, London and even Italy and the war affects them all in different ways.

Once again, a typical Nicola Thorne book of this era. I think it was probably a good end to the series, but wasn't one of my favourites of her books. I will have to re-read some of my favourites and blog about those, because I do not think the ones I have done so far have done her books or my love of them justice!

No comments:

Post a Comment