Friday, March 9, 2012

Traci Harding - 'Being of the Field'

I read Traci Harding's first book 'The Ancient Future' when I was 17. It was my introduction to historical fantasy and it immediately became one of my favourite books. Since then I have read all of her others (except two) and some I love, some I haven't thought were as good.

'Being of the Field' is the first book in her most recent triad* and it was published in 2009. I have only just got around to reading it despite the fact it was originally lent to me a couple of years ago. Not that I have had it since then! It sat at my place for a while, then I gave it back and ended up buying my own copy a few weeks ago. The reason for this lack of motivation to read it was that this book, like some of Traci Harding's other books is most firmly in the science fiction genre. Science fiction is just not my favourite genre. In fact, I think they only ones I own are other books of Traci Harding's which finish off trilogies.

I shouldn't have waited! Once I finally picked up the book and began reading it,  I was unable to put it down. The thing about waiting is I know where I can borrow the second book and the third one is due for release any day now. Sometimes waiting is a good thing.

Dr Taren Lennox is a comparative youngster at 50 years of age and yet her research into is being carefully followed by a number of people from a number of organisations for reasons Taren has no idea about. Her personal life is a mystery and she is careful to keep most people at a distance in order to protect herself and her "Powers". However, Taren is overjoyed when she is invited to join a prestigious space project thinking it is an opportunity for her to extend her work. Instead she discovers colleagues who quickly become friends, danger and a whole new world.

Definitely recommended for any Traci Harding fan and for anyone who likes science fiction. This book is "very Traci Harding" with all the characteristics that this entails.

*If anyone knows the difference between a triad and a trilogy please feel free to enlighten me!

No comments:

Post a Comment