Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Randa Abdel-Fattah - 'Does my head look big in this?'

I saw this book on the shelf at a bookshop a few years ago and thought it would be good for my girls to read. They go to school in a very multicultural school and a number of girls were headscarves. My knowledge of Muslim culture is sadly lacking and I thought this book might help with that. Anyway when I saw it on sale online I snapped it up and I am glad I did!

The book is narrated by "Amal Abdel-Hakim, a sixteen-year-old Australian-Palestinian-Muslim still getting to grips with [her] various identity hyphens". Amal makes the decision that she wants to wear a hijib full time. If this wasn't a big enough decision, the story is also set in the year following September 11, so anti-Muslim sentiment is rife. It is important to note though that this isn't a key point of the story. It comes up in passing as part of natural storyline, but the focus is really on what it is like to be a teenager becoming your own person. For Amal wearing a hijib is part of this journey.

Amal's friends also have their own problems.You also get to see different perceptions of what it means to be an Australian Muslim. From one family who's primary aim is to be as "true blue Aussie" as they come to a friend is super smart but has a mother who thinks she should be getting married. Amal's school friends have their own issues too. Including the all important boyfriend issue.

I really enjoyed this book. It was an easy read and perfect for teenagers (who are the target audience). My 12 year old has started it and is enjoying it too (much to her amazement). Definitely recommended to anyone who wants to learn a bit more about Islamic culture, for any girl who may be coming to terms with her own religious identity especially if it comes with dressing or acting a bit differently and really any one who has ever had to work out who they are how they fit it.

No comments:

Post a Comment