Sunday, March 25, 2012

Kathryn Stockett - 'The Help'

I saw the movie of this book last year sometime (or possibly even the year before? Whenever it was at the movies anyway), and then this was my bookclub's book for this month.

I found this book 'unputdownable'. Even having seen the movie, albeit a little while ago, and having a pretty good idea of what was going to happen, I found the book and engrossing, but easy to follow story.

Set in Mississippi in 1962, it follows an unlikely friendship between a young white woman, "Miss" Skeeter, who is home from college attempting a career in journalism and Aibileen and Minny, two older black maids who work for two of Skeeter's childhood friends. At a time where legalised racism is expected, but the civil rights movement is gathering force, these women combine to make a difference in their own way.

The cast characters includes the bossy "Miss" Hilly Holbrook, the insecure "Miss" Elizabeth Leefolt, "Miss" Celia Foote who just can't quite understand the rules and Skeeter's mother who just can't understand why her daughter won't conform and won't explain what happened to Constantine, the beloved maid who had raised Skeeter. Hilarious in some parts, horrifying in others and with many touching moments this book looks at the lives of ordinary people of the time.

Reactions during the bookclub were varied. I have done a reasonable amount of reason on the broader topic and while I found the story touching and it a great novel, it didn't really raise any issues with me that I hadn't already considered. Other members however found it very confrontational especially considering it was set in the mid-twentieth century. Definitely a book worth reading.

2 comments:

  1. I loved both the book and the movie. While I definitely knew that the 60's were an awful time for civil rights and the book didn't really teach me anything new, it did remind me of just how difficult life was for minorities back then. The friendships the women had or formed in the story were what I loved most about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I think that sums it up for me too. I think it definitely opened some eyes for some of my bookclub friends though!

    ReplyDelete