Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Meg Cabot "Avalon High"

I bought this book for my 10.5 year old daughter, Erin, on the proviso that I read it first after getting an unpleasant shock when I read one of Meg Cabot's other books for one of the girl's 8th birthday a few years ago. (I will write about this at a later date when I have re-read it. I did enjoy the book! It was just not appropriate reading for a child so young). I really enjoyed the book! And I am happy to report Erin did too and is planning on writing her own review later.

Avalon High is set in the early 21st century and is the story of Ellie who starts at a new high school and consequentially meets a whole heap of new people. As Ellie begins to meet people at her new school she beings to notice a number of coincidences which are particularly drawn to her attention as both her parents are academics with an interest in all thing Arthurian. The name Avalon High is not a coincidence!

The story has a strong element of fantasy, while being firmly based in modern times. I personally found it a little scary although Erin didn't really think so. I might just have more of an overactive imagination then she does! The book is really aimed at readers of 12+ and is reasonably long. A confident younger reader would enjoy it too although should be monitored if they have my tendency to be a little scared by the paranormal and the story line is fairly complex. It was also a great introduction to the Arthurian saga without going into too much detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment