Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Freya North "Secrets"

This is only the second book I have read of Freya North's and I liked it :) I will re-read and review the other one I read later.

This book has been my 'train-reading' for the last week or so and it was a good pick. It was compelling enough to keep my attention on the train, simple enough that it didn't need total concentration and was easy enough to put down although I looked forward to my next train trip so I could pick it up again.

I found the narration style took me a little bit to get used to. Especially I think because my last train book was "The Queen's Fool" (see earlier reveiw) and they are very different books on every level.

"Secrets" is primarily written as a narrative (I probably need a better word here but I can't think of one). There is dialouge between the characters, but most of the story is told to you and about them. It is the story of an unlikely friendship between two people who are both hiding from themselves and others. The story features:- Tess an young mum who is running away with her daughter Em; Joe who hires her as a housesitter; Wolf Joe's dog and a few other locals. It wasn't until the end of the book that I really clicked how few characters there were. The style of the book didn't really require more characters and I don't theink they were missed. Bridges, beaches, secrets and the clash of worlds feature. Themes also include lonliness, financial struggles and the plight of the elderly. These themes are not in a judgemental or preachy way but they are there.

*Warning* there were a number of sex scenes. Not detailed but to the point. Just in case you don't like this sort of thing.

I enjoyed the book and I was sorry when it ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment